A Typical Day At Wise Readers
the bus arrives to start off the day!
The Daily Schedule
- 8:15 am Campus Arrival: Scholars are welcomed by cheering Literacy Leaders (college student counselors) as they exit the bus.
- 8:15-8:45 am Breakfast: Scholars enjoy a nutritious and delicious breakfast with their Literacy Leaders and Junior Literacy Leaders as they talk about the fun day ahead.
- 8:45 – 9:15 am Reading Rally: This is an informal sharing time where children and staff come together to celebrate themselves and each other. This tradition includes a community guest visit where s/he joins the scholars and staff for a read-aloud, some cheers, motivational songs, and practice of mindfulness through group meditation. Parents and community leaders are encouraged to join us for this time.
- 9:15 – 10:30 am Curriculum: Children work on improving their reading skills utilizing a uniquely designed Reading Curriculum. This section often includes a read aloud and some form of journal time.
- 10:30 – 10:45 am Morning Break: Scholars have a morning snack and have a short break from curriculum.
- 10:45 – 12:00 pm Curriculum Continues: Scholars and staff continue with the Reading Curriculum. This section often includes center work and an art project.
- 12:00 – 12:15 pm D.E.A.R. Time: Drop Everything And Read Time. To emphasize the importance and joy of reading, children and staff “Drop Everything and Read” silently for 15 minutes, choosing books from the classroom library.
- 12:15 – 12:30 pm Recess: Scholars enjoy time outside. From jumping rope to playing handball and basketball, this time allows scholars to bond with our staff outside of the classroom.
- 12:15 – 12:30 pm Lunch: Scholars enjoy a healthy and hearty lunch together with their Literacy Leaders and Junior Literacy Leaders
- 1:00 – 3:00 pm Afternoon Enrichment: An afternoon full of enrichment and camp-like activities! Each afternoon consists of a rotation of two of the following activities: STEM activity, math, snack activity, swimming, sports, music, art, and mindfulness activities.
- 3:00 pm Dismissal
songs & cheers get scholars excited about the day ahead!