Complete the online application above and email your resume to Program Manager Olivia LaViolette at firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps.
Are you in interested in changing the life of a young person for the better… forever?
We are looking for undergraduate and graduate students interested in education, social action, and positive youth development to become Literacy Leaders for our program. A Literacy Leader is responsible for a classroom of 12-15 underserved children. This entails delivering an innovative and engaging curriculum that is uniquely designed to motivate students to love reading, learning, and to believe in themselves, while engaging them in a wide range of enrichment activities. The best candidates for this position are charismatic, empathetic, passionate, and willing to jump into anything. You should like to think on your toes, be dynamic with our scholars, and be flexible with what the day brings up. The ability to balance behavior in the classroom alongside moving through the curriculum effectively and enjoyably is critical for a successful summer. Our Literacy Leaders build really special bonds with their scholars, and there are no dry eyes on the last day of goodbyes!
We operate from the end of June through the beginning of August, and compensation will be commensurate with experience. We offer an immersive training the week prior to the start of program and continue professional development throughout the summer.
Qualifications: Must have: completed one year of college and love working with children; the ability to motivate others; the ability to think critically and analytically on your feet; strong interpersonal, written and verbal skills; an energetic, positive and enthusiastic demeanor.
- Have completed at least 1 year of college (and be committed to finishing college, if not yet a graduate)
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Solid commitment to Children’s Advocacy, Education, and/or Social Justice
- Ability to motivate
- Ability to think critically and analytically
- Positive attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Model mature and professional demeanor
- Authorization to conduct background check required
- Staff must be available the following dates:
- Training in Los Angeles: June 18-22, 2018
- Program Operation in Los Angeles (6-weeks): June 25-August 3, 2018
The Summer 2018 Literacy Leader Application is available NOW! Complete this application and email your resume to Program Manager Olivia LaViolette at email@example.com.